Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Baby Blaz's Book Shower ~ Lake County Baby Shower Photographer

I have a confession to make. I love party planning. No really, I LOOOOOVE party planning. For Max's birthday this year, I threw two parties. And you saw the tea party I threw for no reason, right? Um, yeah.

But here's the thing. It's not my fault. I come by it naturally. It's genetic. My sister loves party planning just as much, if not more than I do, and my mom, while she may not love party planning quite as much as us, she loves making crafty paper things, which works great with the whole party planning dealio. We really should go into biz.

So needless to say, when our dear friend Katie told us all earlier this year that baby number two was on the way, we were all "Heck yes, we get to throw a party! Oh and we're super excited about the baby, too."

We decided to make the shower a book theme (this later became the inspiration for Baby Shores v.2.0's nursery, by the way), and this weekend we got to see everything come together. We used a turquoise and red theme, since Blaz (pronounced like "blaze" but no "e") is a boy bambino, and because the color combo is just so fun. The centerpiece of it all was the food table (there was A LOT of food) featuring food themed for various children's books. We also tormented entertained the guests with a rousing game of Fictionary (get it? It's like Pictionary, but with books. Fictionary. Bwahahaha!)

What a blast. And now that the party is over, there's only one thing left to do: sit back and wait for Baby Blaz to make his arrival! Come on Blaz!


chicago event photography
I designed the invitations (inspired by this one I found on Pinterest) and printed them at Vista Print. The turquoise envelopes came from Paper Source. The milk bottles are repurposed Starbucks latte bottles.

book themed baby shower
When guests arrived they were asked to play an ice breaker game where they had to decode book titles from the synonymous clues we provided. For example, the clue "Place where the footpath terminates" was really "Where the Sidewalk Ends." The adorable favors at the top corner of each place setting were magnets made by my very talented mama.
north shore baby shower photographer
As I said, we went a little over the top with the food. It was SO worth it though.
lake county illinois event photographer
book shower photos

vintage book shower



Mama Katie and big sister Nora. Aren't they beautiful?

We asked each guest to bring a book to build Baby Blaz's library. I think he will be a great reader some day, don't you?

And last have to share this one of big sister Nora. Pondering big sisterhood, perhaps?

7 comments:

Jamie said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we throw a pretty good party if I do say so myself!!!!

Teachinfourth said...

Wow, these are some vivid images...beautiful.

Katie said...

Thank you!

Your mom said...

We did well my daughters! Many have suggested we go into the party planning business. Once we are all in the same state again we can contemplate that!!!

Kay Cappleman said...

Katie and Jamie,
It was a fabulous party!! The vibrant colors, the milk bottle centerpieces, the stuff hanging from the ceiling, the book theme on the food table, the attention to detail.....it was all so special and great fun!! If any of my children ever get married, I'm calling you two. K

Anonymous said...

Is it possible to get a copy of the ice breaker game? We are throwing a similar type shower for a friend and need some help in the game area. Thanks! tiffanyhope@hotmail.com

Katie said...

Hi, Tiffany,
Send me an email to Katie AT kathrynshoresphotography DOT com and I'll send you the file!